SAFTD Defensive Handgun I
Course Price: $155.00
Course Times: 8-9hrs
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division's Defensive Handgun 1 course is to provide the student with a solid
foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of
handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting
fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A student new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically
has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of
skills that are critical in the use of a firearm in this case a
handgun to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge.
Defensive Handgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to
handguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
A number of topics will be covered in Defensive Handgun 1-
Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Handgun. These include but are
not limited to:
- Safe handling of your firearm.
- Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
- Basic components of a Double Action Revolver.
- Basic components of a Semi-Automatic Pistol
- Operation of a Double Action Revolver
- Operation of a Single and a Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- Working With A Natural Defensive Stance
- 2-Handed and Single Handed Engagements
- Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
- Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
- Clearing Common Pistol Stoppages
- Progressive Shooting Drills
- Definition of Cover and Concealment
- Use of Cover
- Selecting a Pistol and Ammunition
- Cleaning and Maintain your Pistols
|| Required Equipment:|
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun (Semi-automatic Highly Recommended)
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Strong Side Holster NOTE: For safety reasons on the range our classes
will use Strong Side Holsters only! - (No cross draws, shoulder rigs,
pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry). Blackhawk
Serpa and similar holsters which require the use of the index finger to
deactivate a retention device will not be used in SAFTD classes. The
ONLY exception is for Law Enforcement & Military who are issued
these types of holsters for duty use.
- No pocket guns or holsters such as Ruger LCP etc. You will be
presenting the gun from concealment and reholstering repeatedly. You
need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not
collapse when the gun is removed.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9mm or above.
- 150 Rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo etc.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
- Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Shoes that are comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Sturdy Belt
- Baseball Cap
|| Prerequisites: |
- You must be legal to possess and shoot a handgun according to state and federal laws.
Frequently Asked Questions
Upcoming Class Dates:
Sorry there are no classes currently scheduled. Get put on a notification list
and be notified when this class is offered.